Friday, May 6, 2011

Book Review: Go The F*ck To Sleep

As anyone who follows this blog will know, I have a baby whose sleeping habits are...  how can I put this?  Less than optimal.  So as soon as I saw the cover of this book, I knew this was going to be up my alley.


Go The Fuck to Sleep by Adam Mansbach and Ricardo Cortes is a beautifully illustrated children's book for parents.  I love my baby dearly.  I co-sleep and I have tried gentle and non-gentle settling methods, and still there are many times when she will just not go the fuck to sleep.  For fuck's sake, I think as she crawls out the door and I am left to read Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes for the sixty-eighth time to myself.  Just come back here and go to sleep.  Seriously.

Bahahahaha!  I think as I read myself the ending of Peepo!, where the baby compliantly goes to sleep after being kissed and tucked in.  Meanwhile, in our house bath, bed, story... and my baby is cruising about trying to play with the power points.

The book is a beautifully illustrated parody of a children's bedtime storybook, where pictures of adorable toddlers and slumbering tigers and kitty-cats are accompanied by saccharine platitudes that are (for many of us) completely ineffective at inducing zzz's.  At the end of each verse Mansbach sharply contrasts the words we have all at least occasionally thought:


This is a fantastic gift for a baby shower or new parent who needs a laugh.  The book is available through Amazon and various other sites such as Book Depository.

I think I shall write to the author and suggest a sequel: Stay the Fuck Asleep.

NB: I have not been asked to review or endorse this book and have no connection with the publication.  I just thought it was worth sharing.

5 comments:

  1. Haha so funny, I know a few people who have bought this on their list of must haves. And Love your idea for the sequel ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might enjoy this lullaby from Tim Minchin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFANzZTdYM

    ReplyDelete
  3. would love to read the sequel too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, nice. Reminds me of Ken Tanaka's Everybody Dies book
    Http://www.everybodydiesbook.com

    ReplyDelete